Our best prices available over the phone

Opening Hours

Motor Trade Road Risks, Commercial Vehicle
Monday-Friday: 8:30am-6:30pm
Saturday: 9am-1pm

Taxi Insurance
Monday-Friday: 9am-5:30pm
Saturday: 9am-1pm

Motor Trade Combined, Personal Lines, Business
Monday-Friday: 8:30am-5:30pm

Commercial Lines, Care & Charity Insurance, Risk Management
Monday-Friday: 9am-5:30pm

Contact Us Details

Please select the department you would like to contact for their details:


Apologies, we are currently experiencing a temporary connection problem with our phone lines at our Altrincham office. Please call 01625 854300 if you require assistance.















23rd December

24th December

25th December

26th December

27th December

28th December

29th December

30th December

31st December

1st January

2nd January

3rd January

Opening Hours












Return to normal working hours

Insurance for Care Homes

Care home insurance helps to protect your residents, service users and care workers from specific risks within the care industry.

The Covid-19 crisis and other recent events have resulted in a new and intense focus on the care sector. Residential homes that look after vulnerable people are needed more than ever and have never been under greater scrutiny. This emphasises the need for expertly tailored insurance cover.

At Bollington, we understand there are many types of care homes providing support, supervision, and mentoring services to the young, vulnerable, or elderly. With different residents and care workers come different levels of risk, so we work with you to find an insurance policy specific to your business.

Standard business insurance or liability insurance on its own doesn’t include vital protection against the specific risks of the care industry. Failing to have the right insurance cover could leave you, your staff and residents vulnerable.

Types of care home cover

We work with a wide range of care providers and residents, including:

What does care home insurance cover?

Care home insurance can cover a range of items and services, including:

  • Property and buildings
  • Contents and residents’ personal belongings
  • Personal care
  • Nursing care and administering medicine
  • Night care and 24/7 care
  • Cooking and cleaning
  • Abuse
  • Medical devices

At Bollington, we can help you find the right insurance to suit your care home needs. Our care insurance policies can cover:

  • Public and employers’ liability, up to £10 million
  • Professional Indemnity insurance, up to £5 million
  • Abuse liability cover, up to £5 million, can include claims made (cover from when the claims was made) and claims occurring (covers from when the incident took place)
  • Treatment liability cover, which covers carers providing support with administering medicines, personal and toileting care
  • Management liability – including Directors & Officers’ insurance, company legal liability, cyber breach response and employment practices

How much does care home insurance cost?

Costs can vary depending on a variety of factors, including (but not limited to):

  • Number of residents
  • The type of service users being cared for, and their requirements
  • The type of care services provided
  • Number of care home locations
  • The care home setting
  • Financial projections of the care business

The best way to get the right type of policy for your care business is to get in touch with us.

Why choose Bollington for care home insurance?

 At Bollington, we offer a thorough and expert review of your current insurance arrangements, highlighting any gaps in your previous cover.

Our nationwide team of account managers provide thoughtful, personal service, visiting your premises, discussing your needs in detail and offering sound advice based on long experience working with the sector.

We search the market for you, using our unrivalled network of key insurance providers to the care sector to locate the best cover and most competitive premiums for your business.

If you need to make a claim, we make the process quick and simple. Our specialist in-house claims team is always here to support you. 

Markel Law: HR advice and legal expertise for the care sector

With legal expenses cover added to your care home insurance package, you will receive access to the Markel Law platform. One of the UK’s leading online resources for businesses, Markel Law puts an array of legal and commercial expertise at your fingertips, including:

  • HR resources
  • Employment law advice
  • Free legal updates, templates, guidance documents, checklists and useful links
  • Information specifically relevant to the care home sector

All Markel Law resources are available on demand 24/7. This fast, friendly real-time help and immediate business support can save your business a great deal of money, enabling you to resolve most HR and business law issues without having to call in consultants and lawyers. The service is delivered and guaranteed by a legal services provider recommended by many of the UK’s leading trade associations.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Does my business legally need care home insurance?

    Care home insurance is not a legal requirement, however, the Care Quality Commission (CQC) and various local authorities will usually insist on it. A comprehensive insurance policy for care homes will cover all potential risks and help to protect your care business.
  2. What’s the minimum cover I need for my care home?

    Legally, the minimum amount of insurance cover required is employers’ liability insurance, up to £5 million. However, running a care home or supported living premises brings a higher level of risk, due to the nature of the care services you provide.
  3. Do carers and care home staff legally need liability insurance?

    Yes, it's a legal requirement for all businesses to have employers’ liability insurance. The minimum cover required is £5 million, but £10 million is advisable.

What our customers are saying...