Opening Hours

Commercial Lines, Motor Trade Combined, Care Insurance, Personal Lines, Risk Management:
Monday-Friday: 9am-5:30pm

Motor Trade Road Risks, Courier Insurance, Commercial Vehicle:
Monday-Friday: 8:30am-8pm
Saturday: 9am-1pm

Contact Us Details

Please select the department you would like to contact for their details:


Apologies, we are currently experiencing a temporary connection problem with our phone lines at our Altrincham office. Please call 01625 854300 if you require assistance.















23rd December

24th December

25th December

26th December

27th December

28th December

29th December

30th December

31st December

1st January

2nd January

3rd January

Opening Hours












Return to normal working hours

Close X

Motor Trade
Care and Charity
Van and Fleet

For General Enquiries

01625 348779

Do I Qualify?

  • Your business is based and operates solely in the UK
  • All named drivers have a full UK or EU driving licence for a minimum of 12 months
  • All named drivers have been resident in the UK for at least the last 12 months
  • This quote is for your selected Motor Trade occupation, if you undertake multiple occupations/trades please notify our contact centre agent if you wish to proceed with the policy

Do I Qualify?

  • You are a FULL TIME courier
  • Your business is based in the UK
  • All named drivers have a full UK or EU licence for a minimum of 12 months
  • All named drivers are between 25 and 70 years of age and have been resident in the UK for at least 12 months
  • The vehicle is not used to carry dangerous goods or visit dangerous premises (airside, nuclear installations etc)
  • The vehicle is not Q-plated, imported or Left Hand Drive
  • The vehicle has manufacturers standard security

Goods in Transit Insurance

If you move goods from place to place in a courier van or other commercial vehicle, valuable items can be damaged, stolen or lost along the way. That’s why you need goods in transit insurance in addition to your courier policy. It’s the safest way to ensure that you are covered for loss or damage to the cargo you carry.

Win contracts and protect your business

Goods in Transit insurance is not required by law, but in reality you will need it in addition to the courier insurance that protects your van or fleet. In fact, many suppliers insist on goods in transit cover before they will even consider employing a courier. The cost of valuable items in transit being lost or damaged can be fatal for a company, so the right policy is essential to help you win contracts as well as to protect your business.

Why choose Bollington?

Many online courier insurance quotes simply do not offer goods in transit cover, even though it’s essential for your business. As one of the UK’s leading brokers we scour the market to offer a range of goods in transit policies for every type and size of business from the leading providers. It’s affordable too, with premiums starting from only £3.37 a week for a standalone policy. And working with Bollington means no hassle, no delays, no jargon.

Public liability and employer’s liability insurance included

Face to face contact with the general public is an everyday part of every courier’s job. That’s why public liability insurance is essential. As an employer, you also require employers’ liability insurance. The good news is that when you take out a Bollington Insurance goods in transit policy, both public liability insurance and employers’ liability insurance can be included at no extra cost. Yet another reason to trust Bollington for all your courier insurance requirements.

Wide range of additional benefits

As well as the cover you need for lost, damaged or stolen goods, policies can include:

  • Payment instalment options
  • UK and EU cover
  • Tailored cover to suit the specific needs of your business

How else can we help?

If you are not sure whether you need separate Goods In Transit insurance or a combined policy, talk to the dedicated and experienced Bollington team. We can cover your courier vehicle with the following benefits: Protected no claims discount, third party only, comprehensive and third party fire & theft policies available#

  • Drivers aged 25 and above
  • Excesses from £250 for motor insurance*
  • Vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes GVW
  • Free EU cover for up to 90 days*#
  • Uninsured loss recovery
  • £100 goods in transit excess
  • Cover for up to 6 vehicles per policy#
  • Option to include AA Breakdown & Accident Recovery*
  • Drivers with motoring convictions, claims and accidents can be covered

* for vehicles up to 3.5GVW
# dependent on insurer

Tell us everything

It’s essential to tell the Bollington team about any of your contracted conditions of carriage. Only then can we ensure that you have the right level of Goods in Transit insurance cover. This can range from coverage for the entire value of the goods you are transporting to an allotted amount per tonne of items.

Call or click for a quick quotation

Call us on 01625 348779 9am–6:30pm Monday-Friday, 9am-1pm Saturday or click the Get A Quote button

Got a question?

Why do I need goods in transit insurance?

Because most major customers insist on it, and because the cost of replacing lost or damaged goods could easily be fatal to your business.

Is combined courier van insurance and goods in transit insurance enough?

It can be, but here are three reasons why it may not provide sufficient cover:

  1. You run more than a single van
  2. Your typical payload per vehicle would cost more than £25,000 to replace in the event of loss or damage
  3. Your conditions of carriage demand a higher level of cover than your courier van insurance can provide (the Road Haulage Association requires standard cover of £1,300 per tonne of goods)

Many of Bollington’s goods in transit policies also include public liability insurance and employer’s liability insurance, making it an extremely efficient and cost effective option for most courier businesses.

Bollington Insurance Brokers Limited Registered Number: 02918954 is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, and is wholly owned by The Bollington Group (Holdings) Limited Registered Number: 04601252. Registered Office: Adlington House, Adlington Road, Bollington, Macclesfield, Cheshire SK10 5HQ. The Bollington Group (Holdings) Limited is recognised as an Investor in People Copyright © 2017 Bollington Insurance Brokers Limited