What is Public Liability Insurance?
Public liability insurance is recommended for anybody who comes into contact with members of the public as part of their business. It helps to cover your costs if you have to pay compensation and/or legal costs as a result of injury to a member of the public, or damage or loss to their property, including the death of an individual. Compensation may be paid for any loss of earnings – now and in the future – and damages awarded to the claimant.
Who might need public liability insurance?
There are many circumstances in which public liability insurance is appropriate, and you should consider this if your business:
- Comes into direct contact with members of the public (including delivery drivers, couriers etc.)
- Organises or promotes events
- Manages property
- Is a retail outlet
- Carries out work on third-party premises
- Works with business partners
- Works on property owned by other people
- Invites members of the public into your home as part of your business
- Is a charity that works directly with members of the public
- Sells food from a catering van
This list is not exhaustive. If you’re unsure as to whether this cover would benefit your business or if it is necessary, then please contact Gallagher to discuss your options.
You may be asked for evidence of your public liability insurance before work is placed with you – local authorities in particular will wish to see this.
What should you look for?
We appreciate that businesses vary greatly in size, from sole traders (tradesmen, car salesmen, chiropractors, online auction traders etc.) through to multi-site, international operations employing large numbers of people and working across international jurisdictions.
Gallagher considers the size and type of business that you run, the number of employees you have, your business’ turnover, and whether you have had any previous liability claims – amongst other things – in order to tailor your public liability insurance quote.
The advantage of using an insurance broker to arrange your cover is that we take the time to properly assess your needs and offer the right level of insurance cover to give your business adequate protection, without paying for insurance that you don’t actually need. We can tell you what insurance you need by understanding what you do, and can explain in plain English what is and isn’t covered.
How do I arrange public liability insurance cover?
It’s easy to arrange cover with us. Simply:
- Call us on 01625 400206 for assistance
- Fill in our quick online form – and we will prepare your quotation for you
- Arrange a call back – and a member of our friendly team will give you a call at a time to suit you
Get a Quote
Call or click for your public liability insurance insurance quote. And if you need instant cover, just ask.
With you all the way
We want you to stay insured with Gallagher long term, so we’ll be there for you whenever you need advice, a change of policy, additional cover – whatever it takes to help your business thrive.
Call us on 01625 400206
Monday-Friday: 8:30am – 5:30pm