Questions? Feedback? powered by Olark live chat software
Opening Hours

Motor Trade Road Risks, Commercial Vehicle
Monday-Friday: 8:30am-6:00pm
Saturday: 9am-1pm

Taxi Insurance
Monday-Friday: 9am-5:30pm
Saturday: 9am-1pm

Motor Trade Combined, Personal Lines, Business
Monday-Friday: 8:30am-5:30pm

Commercial Lines, Care & Charity Insurance, Risk Management
Monday-Friday: 9am-5:30pm

Contact Us Details

Please select the department you would like to contact for their details:


Apologies, we are currently experiencing a temporary connection problem with our phone lines at our Altrincham office. Please call 01625 854300 if you require assistance.















23rd December

24th December

25th December

26th December

27th December

28th December

29th December

30th December

31st December

1st January

2nd January

3rd January

Opening Hours












Return to normal working hours

What is service and repair insurance?

Service and repair garages are responsible for activities such as maintaining vehicles, MOT testing, and keeping drivers on the road. But to work in one of these settings, you first need to have service and repair motor trade insurance.

Vehicle service and repair businesses typically have traders’ combined insurance, which brings together a range of covers in one policy.

Your service and repair insurance can protect many aspects of your business, including:

  • Equipment and tools
  • Driving customer vehicles
  • Your business premises
  • Public and employers’ liability

Call our friendly team today and we’ll work with you on a quotation that suits your commercial garage needs.

What does auto repair garage insurance cover?

Working in a garage can be dangerous, both for mechanics, employees, and members of the public. That’s why our service and repair garage insurance may cover the following areas including:

Road risks cover

This allows you to drive customer vehicles under your custody and control, as well as cars you own in connection with the motor trade. You have the option of selecting cover on a third-party, third-party fire and theft, or comprehensive basis.

Employers’ liability and public liability insurance

Insurance that covers the costs of claims for injuries from employees or members of the public in connection with your business. Employers’ liability is a legal requirement, and public liability insurance is highly recommended.

Business premises cover

Protection for the rebuild cost of your business buildings, as part of a combined motor trade insurance policy.

Tools and machinery cover

Insurance for the tools and machinery you need to do your job. Cover for tools on-site and in transit can be purchased.

Diagnostic equipment cover

This provides cover for expensive electronic equipment used to diagnose faults with a range of vehicle marques.

Money and keys cover

To protect against the theft of necessary money and vehicle keys stored on-site.

Service indemnity insurance

Can cover claims if faulty parts are fitted, or parts fitted incorrectly (otherwise known as defective workmanship cover).

Demonstration cover

Allows vehicles to be taken on a test drive by members of the public (useful for occasional vehicle sales).

Business interruption insurance

To cover unforeseen circumstances that impact trading, such as fire or flooding in your garage premises.

MOT loss of licence cover

Valuable protection for MOT stations in the event of loss of licence.

Engineering inspection policy

A standalone policy that gives you a qualified engineer to assess equipment and machinery in use, to ensure its safety. This helps you satisfy Health and Safety at Work legal requirements.

Can a garage insurance policy include contents too?

Yes, your garage insurance policy can cover tools, machinery, diagnostic equipment, money, keys and other items stored on-site (including vehicles).

How much does garage insurance cost?

Premiums will vary from one risk to another.  To protect your garage adequately, though, you will need to consider the range of covers listed above.

Prices can vary, so call us for a no-obligation quote.

There are ways you can save money on automotive garage insurance

  • Limit the number of employees on your road risks policy
  • Employ experienced drivers with few (or no) motoring convictions or claims
  • Build up a no-claims bonus on your policy
  • Limit work on more expensive vehicles
  • Limit additional motor trade activity (e.g. roadside recovery, vehicle sales) to reduce your risks
  • Ensure you have adequate on-site security

Secure your premises and make sure your insurance is valid by installing:

  • Approved security locks and alarms
  • Adequate perimeter fencing and barriers (such as pull-up bollards) to avoid vehicles being driven off-site
  • Quality safe boxes for monies or keys
  • Approved CCTV and surveillance equipment

Insurers will typically insist on a minimum level of security. This helps to reduce the likelihood of theft, which can also have a positive impact on your insurance premium.

If you are unsure of what is required to meet minimum standards, or want more advice on security, speak to our friendly team of advisers.

For a quotation, use our quote form or please call us on 01625 854443.

Why Choose Gallagher?

We offer additional covers, including:

  • Engineering inspection cover
  • Business interruption insurance
  • Trade credit insurance
  • Risk management services
  • Employers’ liability and public liability cover

What our customers are saying...