What is MOT station insurance?
MOT garages perform a vital service to ensure vehicle safety. With MOT station insurance, you are protecting your business against the risks it may face.
While service and repair garages all need motor trade insurance, specialist MOT station insurance can go further. You can even include cover for the loss of your essential MOT licence.
In addition to road risks insurance, you can build a traders combined policy. This can include cover for business premises, equipment and machinery, and service indemnity.
What does MOT garage insurance cover?
MOT garage insurance provides cover for customer vehicles in your custody, care, and control.
Road risks insurance provides cover to drive customer vehicles on a third-party, third-party fire and theft, or comprehensive basis. It also covers you to drive other vehicles you use for your motor trade business.
Building on this basic policy are a range of combined motor trade insurance covers for MOT garages, including:
- Garage buildings cover – insurance to cover damage to your business premises, up to the full rebuild cost.
- Diagnostic equipment, tools, and machinery cover – insurance against the theft of expensive equipment required to do your job.
- Money and key cover – can protect you if money or vehicle keys stored safely on-site are stolen.
- Employers’ liability insurance – a legal requirement to protect against injury claims from members of staff.
- Public liability insurance – highly recommended in case a member of the public is injured on your business premises.
- Service indemnity cover – also known as defective workmanship cover or product liability insurance. Provides cover in case of claims due to incorrect fitment of parts, or because of injury due to defective parts fitted.
- MOT loss of licence cover – an MOT station can’t operate without a licence, so get insurance to cover you if this happens.
- Engineering inspection cover – a standalone policy to provide qualified engineers to carry out equipment inspections (lifting tables, ramps etc.).
- Vehicle stock cover – if you have occasional vehicle sales, you can protect vehicles stored on-site for this purpose.
- Demonstration cover – to allow occasional vehicles for sale to be test driven by members of the public.
- Business interruption cover – insures against damage to your business premises – making them unoccupiable – by fire or flooding, for example.
Many more covers are available under a traders combined policy. Speak to us and we’ll work on a quotation for your commercial garage insurance.
MOT Garage premises
Your MOT garage insurance policy can include cover for your premises, including both buildings and contents. This is all-important for MOT testers who make use of expensive diagnostic equipment, plant, and machinery to carry out necessary vehicle testing.
Your premises will need to include suitable testing bays, with approved equipment for the vehicles you are testing. This makes relocating your business tricky, too. Business interruption insurance should also be considered as part of your MOT station insurance.
Am I eligible for MOT garage insurance?
Provided you have a valid MOT licence, you can get specialist MOT garage insurance cover.
You must have:
- Suitable premises
- At least one authorised examiner
- A well-maintained testing facility.
More information on the qualifications to become an eligible MOT tester are available on the gov.uk website.
How much does garage insurance cost?
Insurance costs vary considerably, so we look at each business on an individual basis. That’s why we talk to you to find out what you do and don’t need cover for.
We offer cover for most areas of the motor trade, from tyre fitters and mobile mechanics to body shops and dealerships.
How to save money on MOT garage insurance
- Only add employees to your road risks policy if they are driving customer vehicles
- Ensure the best possible, approved security is installed at your MOT station
- Minimise vehicle sales or roadside recovery, and stick largely to service and repairs
- Keep claims to a minimum
- Maintain high standards to avoid any issues with customers and the DVSA
Why choose Gallagher?
- Quotes available over the phone
- A wide range of insurers
- Road risks cover – for all motor trade businesses
- Traders combined cover – for premises and contents
- Network of account managers for larger risks
We offer additional covers including:
- MOT loss of licence cover
- Engineering inspection cover
- Business interruption insurance
- Trade credit insurance
- Risk management services
- Employers’ liability and public liability cover