Questions? Feedback? powered by Olark live chat software
Opening Hours

Motor Trade Road Risks, Commercial Vehicle
Monday-Friday: 8:30am-6:00pm
Saturday: 9am-1pm

Taxi Insurance
Monday-Friday: 9am-5:30pm
Saturday: 9am-1pm

Motor Trade Combined, Personal Lines, Business
Monday-Friday: 8:30am-5:30pm

Commercial Lines, Care & Charity Insurance, Risk Management
Monday-Friday: 9am-5:30pm

Contact Us Details

Please select the department you would like to contact for their details:


Apologies, we are currently experiencing a temporary connection problem with our phone lines at our Altrincham office. Please call 01625 854300 if you require assistance.















23rd December

24th December

25th December

26th December

27th December

28th December

29th December

30th December

31st December

1st January

2nd January

3rd January

Opening Hours












Return to normal working hours

What is breakdown and recovery insurance?

Recovery operator insurance – sometimes known as breakdown and recovery agent insurance – provides cover for you to recover or repair vehicles at the roadside. You can insure a single recovery truck or van, or a fleet of recovery vehicles. Recovery operator insurance can also include cover for business premises and liabilities.

What does our breakdown and recovery operator insurance cover?

With a recovery operator insurance policy, you can get cover for:

  • Single recovery trucks/vans
  • Fleets of recovery vehicles
  • Transportation of customer vehicles
  • Public liability
  • Employers’ liability
  • Business premises and contents
  • Tools in transit
  • Events and exhibitions
  • Business interruption cover

There are three different levels of protection for your vehicle: third-party only, third-party fire and theft, and comprehensive insurance.

Who is covered by breakdown and recovery operator insurance?

Anybody who works in the vehicle recovery industry can get breakdown and recovery operator insurance for their vehicle. We recommend recovery operator fleet cover for three or more recovery vehicles.

Insurance for single recovery vehicles

If you work part-time with a single recovery van or truck, we offer road risks-only cover. This is the basic level of insurance and provides third-party, third-party fire and theft, or comprehensive protection for your vehicle. If you run a motor trade business and have individual recovery vehicles, you can add these to your motor trade road risks policy. Just let us know so we can make sure you have the cover that’s appropriate for your business.

Insurance for specialist recovery operators

For larger local, regional or national recovery operators, we offer a full range of solutions to protect your vehicles, business premises, contents, employees and other liabilities.

How much does breakdown and recovery operator insurance cost?

The cost of recovery insurance varies considerably depending on several factors, including:

  • The type of recovery business you run.
  • The size of your recovery business.
  • The location of your recovery business/where you operate.
  • The number of recovery vehicles you wish to insure.
  • The number of staff you employ.

Please contact us on 01625 854458 for a single vehicle quote. Alternatively, call  0161 929 1851 if you have a fleet of vehicles in your recovery business.

Am I eligible for breakdown and recovery operators’ insurance?

If you work at the roadside to assist with breakdowns or recovery of vehicles, then this is the right insurance to meet your needs. If you own a single recovery truck as part of your motor trade business (e.g. service and repair of vehicles), then you could cover it as part of your motor trade insurance policy instead.

Why choose Gallagher?

We offer you:

  • Insurance for recovery vehicles of most types and sizes.
  • Knowledge of the recovery sector
  • A dedicated point of contact, including an account manager for larger recovery operators.

We are also:

Whether you have a single recovery truck or a large fleet of recovery vehicles, we’ve got you covered!

Get a Quote

Single Recovery Vehicles

If you would like to insure a single recovery vehicle on a road risks policy, call us on 01625 854458 for a quick quote.

Recovery Fleets and Business Premises

For larger recovery operators with multiple vehicles and premises, we will work with our insurance partners to provide a tailored quotation.

Call us on 0161 929 1851 for a quote from our account management team.

Benefits of breakdown and recovery insurance with Gallagher

When it comes to breakdown and recovery agents insurance, we offer:

  • Road risk only cover – for recovery operators working from home
  • Combined cover – for business premises and contents
  • Cover for specialist recovery vehicles
  • Cover for tools, including those carried in your vehicle
  • Public liability and employers’ liability, with up to £10m cover

For larger recovery operators, we offer:

  • Retrospective premium rebates to reward good claims records
  • Exhibition cover as standard
  • Business interruption cover
  • A range of commercial combined covers to suit your needs

Other Insurance from Gallagher:

What our customers are saying...