Our best prices available over the phone

Opening Hours

Motor Trade Road Risks, Commercial Vehicle
Monday-Friday: 8:30am-6:30pm
Saturday: 9am-1pm

Taxi Insurance
Monday-Friday: 9am-5:30pm
Saturday: 9am-1pm

Motor Trade Combined, Personal Lines, Business
Monday-Friday: 8:30am-5:30pm

Commercial Lines, Care & Charity Insurance, Risk Management
Monday-Friday: 9am-5:30pm

Contact Us Details

Please select the department you would like to contact for their details:


Apologies, we are currently experiencing a temporary connection problem with our phone lines at our Altrincham office. Please call 01625 854300 if you require assistance.















23rd December

24th December

25th December

26th December

27th December

28th December

29th December

30th December

31st December

1st January

2nd January

3rd January

Opening Hours












Return to normal working hours


What is a DSS Benefits Landlord Insurance?

Property tenants come from all walks of life. From students to professionals, asylum seekers to those in receipt of housing benefits.

While the Department of Work and Pensions replaced the Department of Social Security many years ago. DSS benefits is a term used for tenants on housing benefits.

Not all landlord insurance companies are happy with tenants receiving housing benefits. Ye many DSS tenants can be just as reliable as private tenants.

Bollington can insure your property if you let it out to those on housing benefits. We'll also consider other types of tenants - and even multiple tenancy agreements in an HMO.

Over 20 landlord insurers - and our own exclusive scheme

There's a choice of insurers offering good quality cover for landlords with Bollington

Bring together all your properties in one policy

Make life easier by administering all your property portfolio on one policy

Easily add or remove property from your policy

Just call our specialist team and we'll do the rest

What is a DSS tenant?

A DSS tenant is simply a tenant in receipt of housing benefit from their council.

What does DSS Landlord Insurance cover?

DSS landlord insurance covers buildings and contents if required. Contents can include carpets and furnishings, for example.

It’s easier to get insurance if the tenancy agreement is between you and the tenant directly, rather than between you and the council. This is because you know the tenant if the agreement is with them, whereas councils can change tenants if the agreement is with them. This makes it more risky to cover them.

Malicious damage cover can be provided, but it may not be covered if the tenancy agreement is between you and the council. Check with us for advice and a quote for this if you are unsure.

Otherwise, the standard covers for landlord insurance apply. You can have several properties in one portfolio, saving time and money. You can also have different types of tenant in HMOs or across the different properties where you are the landlord.

Access a range of insurers and our own exclusive scheme, with benefits including:

  • Buildings only cover or combined buildings and contents cover
  • Up to £10,000,000 buildings, loss of rent and content cover per location
  • Properties undergoing repair or renovations can be covered
  • Unoccupied properties – Commercial and Residential – covered
  • Multiple parties renting space in a single property
  • Residential properties with tenants including students, DSS, asylum seekers etc.

"The customer care is second to none it’s a shame there’s not more company’s who value there customers like Bollington do. Nothing is ever an issue and any problems that may arise are always sorted, not that I’ve ever had any issues"

William Bennet

Get a quote over the phone

Speak to an expert, call 01625 855032

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Are there different levels of property insurance?

    With buildings insurance, you will need to know the rebuild cost of the properties you insure. You will also need to value any contents you wish to cover. You can pick and choose whether you want buildings and contents cover for one property and only buildings cover for another, for example. These factors will help to determine how much insurance cover you need, and the cost of cover.
  2. Can I combine personally owned property with company-owned or partnership-owned properties?

    It is not possible to combine property with different ownership under one policy, though you can combine commercial and residential property in one policy if the ownership is the same.
  3. What happens if I run my own business from a property?

    If you own a property and run a business from it, you can get commercial combined insurance cover for both your business and your property. Contact us for more details.
  4. What is property owners’ liability cover?

    Property owners’ liability cover combines employers’ liability and public liability cover for property owners. This protects you against claims made by employees or members of the public for alleged injuries. In the event of injury to a tenant or a visitor to your property, for example, your property owners’ liability policy can be called upon.
  5. Can I get residential property owners’ insurance?

    Yes – if you only have residential property, we can cover this for you with residential property owners’ insurance. We provide cover from a single buy-to-let property to a large portfolio – all in one policy.
  6. What property can be covered under a property owners’ insurance policy?

    Property can include everything from storage units to warehouses, factories to shops and offices. Even more unusual properties such as churches or a chapel of rest can be covered – just ask us for a quote and we’ll do the rest.