Questions? Feedback? powered by Olark live chat software
Opening Hours

Motor Trade Road Risks, Commercial Vehicle
Monday-Friday: 8:30am-6:00pm
Saturday: 9am-1pm

Taxi Insurance
Monday-Friday: 9am-5:30pm
Saturday: 9am-1pm

Motor Trade Combined, Personal Lines, Business
Monday-Friday: 8:30am-5:30pm

Commercial Lines, Care & Charity Insurance, Risk Management
Monday-Friday: 9am-5:30pm

Contact Us Details

Please select the department you would like to contact for their details:


Apologies, we are currently experiencing a temporary connection problem with our phone lines at our Altrincham office. Please call 01625 854300 if you require assistance.















23rd December

24th December

25th December

26th December

27th December

28th December

29th December

30th December

31st December

1st January

2nd January

3rd January

Opening Hours












Return to normal working hours

No quote for your upcoming renewal? Give Gallagher a try

What is Motor Trade Insurance?

Motor trade insurance or “traders insurance” gives you cover if you’re buying and selling vehicles either from your home or from business premises. It also provides cover if you repair and service vehicles, offer a roadside breakdown service or fit tyres.

There are two types of motor trade insurance policies: road risks or combined. Both provide different levels of cover.

We provide motor trade insurance to many motor trade businesses of different sizes.

Get a Quote

Types of Motor Trade Insurance

Motor trade insurance is available to anybody who runs a business – for profit – within a motor trade.  It is specifically for this purpose – it is not a personal vehicle insurance policy.

You will therefore need to provide evidence that you are running a motor trade business to be eligible for motor trade insurance.

We can offer insurance cover for:

Numerous trades can be covered, including:

Why Choose Gallagher For Trade Insurance?

  • Motor Trade Policies suited for many occupations across the sector
  • Quotations can be offered over the phone
  • In my cases, cover can be taken out straight away
  • Documentation issued quickly
  • You can speak to us directly over the phone

Here at Gallagher, we’ve been sourcing the motor trade insurance for decades. This vast experience has enabled us to become a company that many customers come to.

We are also able, in some instances, to obtain insurance for individuals whom would otherwise struggle to find cover, such as young motor traders.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Am I insured to drive any car on a motor trade insurance policy?

    No - there are limitations and exclusions on policies, so you should not assume that you can drive any vehicle that you carry a driving licence to operate.  Some vehicles – particularly performance or high-value models, or imported vehicles – could be excluded, unless there are specific extensions on your policy to cover them.  You need to let us know the type of vehicles you will be driving and/or trading in order for us to ensure you are adequately covered on your insurance.
  2. Who is covered to drive on a motor trade policy?

    Drivers that are named on your policy are covered for motor trade use.  It is not the case that any driver can drive vehicles on your policy. There are also restrictions to cover – specifically, you can only drive a customer’s vehicle for motor trade use.  In certain cases, you can drive a vehicle that you own for social domestic and pleasure use, or for additional business use (e.g. if you work as a part-time motor trader and have a van that you use in conjunction with your work as a builder). You can also take out accompanied demonstration cover, which will allow a customer to test drive a vehicle in your possession, as long as somebody named on your motor trade policy is there to accompany them.
  3. Why do I need motor trade insurance?

    If you conduct business in any area of the motor trade, you will need to obtain insurance. Personal car insurance will not cover you if you are involved in an accident while driving a customer’s vehicle, for example, or when driving a vehicle home from an auction that you have purchased and intend to sell. If you are carrying out work in the motor trade then, as a minimum, you will need road risks insurance to drive vehicles as part of your motor trade activities. If you have business premises (i.e. you don’t operate your business from your home address), then you should consider traders combined cover.
  4. What is the difference between road risks and traders combined insurance?

    Road risks motor trade insurance will allow you to drive vehicles that are in your possession or custody and under your control, on a third party, third party fire and theft or comprehensive cover basis (although you will only get the trade value for any vehicle under a comprehensive motor trade insurance policy). However, if you have business premises, then this level of insurance alone will not be enough to cover your needs.  Traders combined insurance offers a range of different insurance products in one package.  You will automatically get public liability insurance with defective workmanship cover on a traders combined policy. Click here to find out more about the different products that we offer.
  5. Why is motor trade insurance more expensive for under 25s?

    As is the case with private car insurance, insurers consider drivers under the age of 25 to be more of a risk to them.  This is because there is statistical evidence that younger drivers are more likely to be involved in road traffic accidents. Rather than setting up in business by yourself, you might want to consider joining another motor trade business initially, where you can not only build up experience, but also build your motor trade no claims bonus by driving safely and not being involved in accidents.
  6. How can I save money on my motor trade insurance?

    There are a number of ways of potentially saving money on your insurance.  You could opt for a basic level of road risks cover – third-party only or third-party fire and theft – yet you might be surprised to find that comprehensive cover isn’t necessarily a great deal more expensive. You could also opt to raise your excess – i.e. the amount you would need to pay in the event of a claim before your insurer starts to settle the cost.  Again, this might not represent a huge saving, but it could help to shave a few pounds from your premium. Keep the number of drivers on your policy to a minimum.  The more drivers, the greater the time spent on the road by your business might be, and the more individual risk factors come into play for insurers. Only take out the insurance cover that you actually need.  Ensure the level of indemnity – the amount your stock of vehicles is covered for – is appropriate, and not excessive for your business. Dependent on the insurer, it might also be possible to mirror your private car no claims bonus on your motor trade policy.  Ask us about how this works, and whether it is possible for you to do this to keep costs down if you have no previous motor trade no claims discount. The important thing is not necessarily to get the cheapest insurance – it’s to make sure that you are properly covered.  You don’t want to spend thousands of pounds putting something right when you find out your insurance isn’t going to cover you – insurance is your safety net, and it’s worth spending a little more to get the right cover for your business.
  7. How many vehicles must I buy and sell to be a part-time motor trader?

    You need to be actively trading vehicles and showing that you make a profit from the activity to be eligible for motor trade insurance.  You don’t need to trade huge volumes of vehicles, but insurers will be looking for more than just a handful of cars to be bought and sold during the course of any year that your policy runs.  If you’re in any doubt, please call us to discuss your requirements.
  8. I just fix cars at home – do I need motor trade insurance?

    Yes, you do.  If you fix other people’s vehicles to make a profit – rather than as a hobby for your own personal benefit, using vehicles that you personally own – then you need to make sure that you have adequate insurance to drive the vehicles.  Even if it’s just down the road and back, to test your repairs, you still need cover while the vehicle is on the road.  You will also need cover for the storage of customers’ vehicles on your premises, which is automatically included in a road risks policy if you work from home. There are optional covers available to protect you (such as public liability and defective workmanship cover, for example), although most mechanics working from home would likely only take out road risks cover to keep the cost of insurance down.  It is unlikely that you will be sued for an incident involving a member of the public, or for not doing a job properly, but it might give you peace of mind to be covered against such an eventuality.  Talk to us to discuss your options – we’re happy to offer advice about the insurance that suits your needs.
  9. Are there restrictions on vehicles that can be covered?

    Yes, there are restrictions specified in your policy.  In particular, vehicles which are imported, of particularly high value, or high-performance vehicles may be excluded from your policy.  Please talk to us if you are considering trading in vehicles that might not fit the standard insurance criteria – it is possible to get extensions to drive particular vehicles on your policy with certain insurers.

Please note that these Frequently Asked Questions are not a substitute for the policy wording.

Benefits of Gallagher Motor Trade Insurance Policies

  • Dedicated motor trade team
  • Work with a wide range of insurers
  • Road risks cover – for all motor trade businesses
  • Traders combined cover – for premises and contents

    We offer additional covers including:

    • Engineering inspection cover
    • Business interruption insurance
    • Trade credit insurance
    • Risk management services
    • Employers’ liability and public liability cover

    Explore our full range of Motor Trade Insurance

    Motor Trade Insurance

    We work with our panel of insurers to find you the most appropriate cover

    Motor Trade Knowledge

    Many years experience dealing with the motor trade

    Dedicated Account Managers

    Our network of account managers work across the UK

    • FAQS For Existing Customers

      Gallagher is always on-hand to answer queries from our clients about how motor trade insurance works – simply visit the Contact Us section for full information on how to get hold of us

      Here, we answer some of the most commonly asked questions that we are asked by our clients – hopefully, you will get a quick and easy answer to your query!

      When Do I Need To Advise You Of Changes To My Business?

      There are a number of circumstances in which you should contact us to make changes to your insurance policy.  These include:

      • Adding or removing drivers from your road risks policy
      • Changing the address that you trade from
      • Moving into business premises if you were previously trading from your home address
      • Changing the trades you operate in (e.g. if you sell vehicles and start to valet them, or if you repair vehicles and set up an MOT station)
      • Taking on employees for the first time
      • Increasing the number of vehicles that you are trading, hence requiring a higher level of indemnity
      • Anything other changes to your business that might require you to increase or decrease your insurance cover
      • You should also advise your insurer if you wish to add or remove vehicles from your policy – under Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE), vehicles that have not been declared SORN should be added to the Motor Insurance Database (MID).

      How Do I Advise You

      Whether you have a road risks motor trade insurance policy or a traders combined policy, contacting us to make a change is easy.

      Trading from Home:

      Quote for a Road Risks Policy (suitable for motor traders working from home or on a part time basis)

      Call our friendly team for a quote on 0161 8748024.

      Our opening hours are:

      Monday-Friday: 8:30am-6:30pm
      Saturday: 9am-1pm

      Chat: You can also chat with a motor trade advisor through our online chat facility on our website.

      During opening hours our Road Risk advisors are able to answer any quick questions you may have or agree a call-back time to suit you. Simply start your conversation in the chat window at the bottom of our page. If we are not available on the chat facility, you can leave a message and we will come back to you when we are back online.

      Existing Customer

      Need to tell us about changes to your business? Please call 01625 854 465 

      Need to add or remove a vehicle from the MID? Please call 01625 854 465 

      Want to upgrade to a traders combined policy? Please call 01625 854 465 

      Want to cancel your policy? Please call 01625 854 465

      Need to make a claim? Please refer to our claims section to direct you to the right place.

      Trading from Business Premises:

      Quote for Traders Combined Policy (suitable for motor traders with premises)

      Call our friendly team for a quote on 01625 854443.

      Our opening hours are:

      Monday – Friday: 8.30am – 5.30pm

      Existing Customer

      Need to tell us about changes to your business? Please call 01625 348 781

      Need to add or remove a vehicle from the MID? Please call 01625 348 781

      Are you a road risks customer who wants to upgrade to a traders combined policy? Please call 01625 854 465 

      Want to cancel your policy? Please call 01625 348 781

      Need to make a claim? Please refer to our claims section to direct you to the right place.

      MID – Your Questions Answered

      1. What is the MID?

        The MID is the Motor Insurance Database, which is maintained by the MIB (Motor Insurance Bureau).  As part of Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) laws, taxed vehicles that have not been declared SORN need to be added to the MID.
      2. Do I have to add all my vehicles on to the MID?

        You need to add all vehicles to the MID that are covered on your motor trade insurance policy.  You also need to add trade plates that you own.  The official advice from the MIB is that you should add to the MID “All permanent vehicles (i.e. vehicles registered to, owned by, or leased to you) and any vehicles whose use is regularly covered by the policy (e.g. employees’ vehicles)”, and “Temporary vehicles such as courtesy or short term hire vehicles”. It is not necessary to add untaxed stock vehicles, but if you are in any doubt, add them to the MID anyway – there is no harm
      3. How much time do I have to add a vehicle to the MID?

        Historically, motor traders were given 14 days to add vehicles to the MID, but the current advice is that any vehicles you wish to include on your motor trade policy should be registered on the MID “immediately”.  This means as soon as you can possibly add them to the MID, you should do so.  If you don’t add your vehicle to the MID, you run the risk of being stopped by police while you (or another policyholder) is driving it, and the possibility of therefore having the vehicle seized.
      4. How can I add or remove vehicles from the MID?

        A number of insurers now give you access to an online portal, where you can add or remove vehicles from the MID yourself.  This is the quickest and most efficient process to ensure that your vehicles are added to the MID in a timely manner. When you take out your motor trade insurance through Bollington, we will supply you with the procedure that your insurer recommends as part of your policy welcome pack. Remember, it is just as important to remove vehicles in a timely manner from the MID as it is to add them.  If you sell a vehicle and it is involved in an accident, you could be liable if the vehicle is listed on your motor trade insurance policy on the MID.
      5. Will you add vehicles to the MID for me?

        Yes, we can do this for you.  There is a nominal charge for doing this each year on your policy, should you wish for us to add or remove vehicles from the MID.  Updates can be given via telephone or email.  Please tell us at the point that you renew your policy if you wish to take advantage of this service, and we will advise the fee for doing so.
      6. What happens when I come to renew my policy? Do I need to tell my existing insurer, or my new insurer, my full list of vehicles again?

        It depends on the insurer what you need to do to ensure all the vehicles you need are listed on your motor trade insurance policy – and therefore, on the MID.  Your existing insurer may require a full list of vehicles when you renew your policy. If you are moving to a new insurer, you must supply them with a full list of vehicles for the MID.  They will advise on how this information should be given, and will provide you with further details on how to update the MID in future on your new motor trade policy.
      7. Where can I find out further information on the MID?

        Visit for further information and legal information on the MID.

      Please note that these Frequently Asked Questions are not a substitute for the policy wording.

    • Claims

      For all non-motor claims in relation to:

      • Commercial premises/property
      • Employers liability
      • Public liability
      • Products liability
      • Professional indemnity
      • Directors & Officers
      • Fidelity guarantee

      Please visit our separate non-motor Claims page for further information on how to make a claim.

      If you have a motor related claim, please see below for our most frequently asked questions.

      1. Making a motor claim: How do I report a new claim?

        By calling our Motor Claims team on 0800 195 4905 To ensure that your claim is dealt with as effectively and efficiently as possible, it is important to report your claim as soon after the accident as possible, and within 48 hours of the incident.
      2. Who will arrange recovery of my vehicle?

        Depending on your choice from the options available to you, either your Insurer or our approved repairer will recover your vehicle. This will be either to an approved repairer or a place of free storage, depending on the amount of damage caused to your vehicle.
      3. Who will arrange repairs to my vehicle?

        Whoever appoints the repairer (i.e. you, your Insurer, or our Motor Claims), an estimate will need to be prepared and sent through to the Insurer for them to authorise the repair costs.
      4. Can I use my own garage for repairs?

        Yes, you can use your own repairer. However, by using the Insurer or our repairer, the claims repairs are authorised and carried out quicker.
      5. What happens if my vehicle is still under the Manufacturer’s Warranty?

        Our Motor Claims team and the Insurers have access to dealer-approved repairers. These bodyshops carry out repairs to manufacturers’ specifications so as not to affect Manufacturers’ Warranties. All repairs are generally guaranteed for 5 years.
      6. How long will it take to repair my vehicle?

        We understand how important it is for your vehicle to be kept on the road. Each claim is different, and once the repair estimate has been authorised by your insurer, the repairer will be in contact with you within 24 hours to arrange repairs. Our Motor Claims team will keep you informed of your vehicle repairs’ progress. Our dedicated team liaise direct with the approved repairers and insurers to ensure no unnecessary delays occur. Repairs are subject to the parts being available and the garage being able to book your vehicle in.
      7. Can I have a replacement vehicle whilst my vehicle is being repaired?

        We will endeavour to provide a like-for-like replacement vehicle. We will discuss with you your specific requirements and your replacement vehicle entitlement.
      8. What happens if the repairs are below my policy excess?

        You would be expected to pay the garage in full for the repairs if you are claiming via your insurer. Where the incident is not your fault and there is a third party from which to recover your costs from, we will assist you to do so providing you have purchased our Motor Legal Protection cover.
      9. Do I still have to pay my excess if the accident was not my fault?

        Not if you are claiming via the Third Party insurer. If you are claiming via your comprehensive insurance policy you would pay the excess and we would then fully recover this cost for you.
      10. Can I claim directly from the other party for an accident which was not my fault?

        Yes, this is known as claiming via the Third Party.
      11. How will my policy be affected by a fault/non-fault claim?

        • Where you are at fault for an incident, your no claims bonus will be affected unless you have purchased Protected No Claims Discount.
        • Where you are not at fault and there is a third party to recover your claims costs from, then your no claims discount will be unaffected. However, this is subject to your Insurer agreeing with the third party’s insurer that you are not responsible for the incident.
        • Where you are comprehensively insured, your Insurer will reduce your no claims discount until they have recovered their costs.
        • Where your claim has been reported to Insurers for information only because you are claiming direct from the third party/insurers, your insurer’s claims file will remain open until they have agreed that the incident is not your fault.
        Once your insurers have been provided with sufficient evidence that the third party insurers have accepted their insured is at fault they will close their file and your no claims discount will not be affected.
      12. What can I do if Insurers tell me my vehicle is not repairable and I don’t agree with their valuation or decision?

        We will discuss with you why you don’t agree, and ask you to provide examples of vehicles being sold privately that are as close to your vehicle as possible i.e. same age, make, model and of similar mileage. They will then negotiate with Insurers on your behalf to reach an amicable settlement.
      13. What happens if I am not happy with the quality of the repairs?

        Our approved repairers comply with PAS 125 which is the industry agreed technical specification of vehicle body repair. It provides body-shops with the processes and procedures directly related to the safe repair of accident damaged vehicles. The repairs are guaranteed for 5 years but if a repair is substandard, we will always look to assist you and rectify the repairs with the repairer. If the repairs have been instructed from your own insurer, then we would report your concerns to your Insurer for them to investigate with their repairer.
      14. Can I claim for additional costs not covered under my insurance policy?

        Yes, our Motor Claims team are here to assist you by providing you with a service to ensure you receive recompense for what you are legally entitled to.
      15. What does “Subrogation” mean?

        When you enter into a contract with an Insurer, this is a policy condition which assists the Insurer in recovering any costs where there is a known third party who is responsible for the incident. In essence, the Insurer stands in the place of you to recover their outlay in respect of a claim made against the Insurance policy. We will do this when you have purchased our Motor Legal Protection policy, which means we have the right to pursue the Third Party for damages on your behalf.
      16. What should we do if we receive a call from another party’s Insurer?

        Following an accident, you may receive calls from other companies offering vehicle hire and repair services. Our Motor Claims team works in association with Action Assistance and we will always keep you informed of any authorised companies that will contact you and when.
      17. I have been injured as a result of a road traffic accident and had unpaid time off work, can I be compensated for this?

        If you have suffered an injury from an accident that wasn’t your fault and you have purchased our Motor Legal Protection policy, we can provide you with access to independent medical and legal professionals. They specialise in road traffic accident compensation recovery and they will discuss your entitlement with you on an individual basis, in order provide you with the relevant assistance.

      Please note that these Frequently Asked Questions are not a substitute for the policy wording.

    • Motor Trade Guides

      Ultimate Motor Trade Insurance Guide

      So you’re a motor trader and you need to insure your business: to protect your business assets, protect yourself and stay legal.  Or maybe you’re setting up in business for the first time – buying and selling vehicles, or repairing them – and you’re considering whether to work from home or work from a garage or forecourt premises. Our guide to motor trade covers everything you needs to know – including tips on how to save money.

      Moving From Home Trader To Garage Trader?

      Gallagher offers policies to home motor traders thinking about expanding into premises. As a large independent insurance broker, Gallagher is well placed to offer help on all aspects of motor trader insurance. We talk to thousands of motor traders every year about their motor trade insurance requirements.

      Registering Vehicles On The Motor Insurance Database (MID)

      As a motor trader buying and selling a number of vehicles each year, you must have motor trade insurance (it is the individual vehicles that are added to the MID to show against your insurance policy – you don’t add the insurance in its own right to the database!). With every vehicle that you buy…
      Read more

      Why The Motor Insurance Database Is Vital For The Motor Trader

      The Motor Insurance Database is managed by Motor Insurers’ Bureau and is a central record of all insured vehicles in the UK, including commercial motor insurance. The Motor Insurance Database (MID) is a way for the police and DVLA to monitor and take action against the amount of uninsured drivers on the road in the…
      Read more

      Rising Premiums – No Claims Bonus And When Not To Claim

      Rising insurance premiums in motor trade insurance can leave many people scratching their heads. They are often a cause for concern for motor traders who don’t fully understand why they rise and how they can prevent certain rises. In order to save money on your motor trade insurance you must build up your No Claims…
      Read more

      Do I Need Motor Fleet Insurance?

      As a business owner, if you have three or more vehicles in business use and under your ownership, then you should consider motor fleet insurance. Fleet quotes can vary depending on your business requirements. Speak to a broker at Gallagher for advice, as you need to tailor the policy to your unique needs. When…
      Read more

      Getting Part Time Motor Trade Insurance

      In many cases, insurance companies see part-time traders as a higher risk than full time. They generally aren’t working as often and are more liable to mistakes. This potentially means more claims being made. When it comes to smaller and part-time traders, more than 75% dealt with by Gallagher are car dealers or mechanics…
      Read more

      What Is An Insurance Broker?

      An insurance broker provides an intermediary service, or can provide its own products (known as a delegated authority scheme), allowing a broker to give you specialist cover that you might struggle to find elsewhere. Brokers can search for the right policy on your behalf with a number of different insurance companies, to get you the…
      Read more

      Levels Of Indemnity – Getting The Correct Cover

      What are the best levels of cover for my motor trade business and what are the repercussions of not having the correct cover? As a rule of thumb, price is not always a good way to compare what you are getting. It’s not necessarily all about the cheapest motor trade insurance; check the levels of…
      Read more

      Auctions – Adding And Removing Trade Vehicles From The MID

      Buying cars for good prices at auctions is an important process for many car traders. When buying vehicles for domestic use, often temporary insurance is needed. This would give you enough time to get it home and fill out the full insurance details. However, as a trader with a motor trader policy, the vehicle will…
      Read more

      Common Fraud – Ghost Broking

      At Gallagher, we deal with fraud every day, and have sophisticated detection methods. We undertake validation checks on applicants and have access to shared information on known insurance fraud. Thus, we have built up good relationships with insurance companies who recognise that we do all that we can to eliminate fraud. Of course, there…
      Read more

      How Much Does Motor Trade Insurance Cost?

      This is the question we get asked most often and in all honesty it is the most difficult to answer. It does all depend on your individual circumstances with many factors being taken into account such as proposer age, location of business, services offered, number of employees and experience when compiling a quotation. It also depends…
      Read more

      Types Of Insurance Available

      Gallagher offers a full range of policies to suit all aspects of the motor trade. As a motor trade insurance broker, we have policies and schemes to suit the types of customers we work with on a daily basis. This means that many of our products cannot be found elsewhere from…
      Read more

      Am I A Legitimate Motor Trader?

      Getting a motor trade policy requires proof that you are working in the motor trade.
      Most traders start off buying and selling cars – but how many do you have to trade to get a motor trade policy?
      And if you’re servicing or repairing cars, providing a valeting service or fitting tyres, how do you prove the work that you’re doing?
      Is there…
      Read more

      What is the difference between a motor trader policy and other types of insurance?

      There is sometimes confusion between what motor trade insurance and private motor insurance covers. Do you need to work in the motor trade to have a motor trader insurance policy? What does it mean to work in the ‘motor trade’? Can you get a standard car insurance policy and buy and sell cars? Here, we look at what a motor trade policy is and compare it to a standard private motor policy to highlight the similarities and point out the differences…
      Read more


    Our existing clients are delighted...