If you have a main occupation but carry out part-time work in the motor trade, you’ll need motor trade insurance cover.
Whether it’s buying and selling vehicles, repairing them, valeting them or carrying out any other work in the trade alongside your main job, we are one of the leading insurance brokers in the UK for part-time traders, so we’ll search the market to get you the right cover at an affordable price.
And if you decide to take the plunge and go full-time or move into premises, we can keep covering you every step of the way.
What cover do you need?
Part-time traders generally work from home, so need cover for any vehicles stored there as well as driven on the road.
This is where road risks insurance comes in. Covering you on a third-party, third-party fire and theft, or comprehensive basis for vehicles connected to your motor trade work, road risks insurance is the minimum cover required for most part-time traders.
You should also consider:
- Accompanied demonstration cover – for part-time vehicle sales, this allows you to sit with potential buyers while they go out on a test drive
- Public liability insurance – an important consideration for sole traders, to protect against claims from members of the public connected with your work
- Tools in transit – if you carry tools to do your job, make sure you’ve got them covered against loss, damage or theft
- Breakdown cover
We provide cover all of these and offer advice on anything else you might need, including moving onto a traders combined policy if your business grows. We insure everyone from part-time traders to dealerships, giving us access to a wide range of insurers and policies you won’t find anywhere else.
Saving money on part-time motor trade insurance
Some simple ways of saving money as a part-time trader include:
- Transferring or mirroring your no-claims bonus – move your private car no-claims bonus across to your motor trade policy or mirror it so it matches your private policy (subject to insurer). This helps you get a head start on your motor trade no claims discount.
- Go for third-party only cover – if you’re comfortable servicing or repairing vehicles yourself, then third-party only cover could save you money
- Raise your excess – if you go for a higher excess on your insurance policy, you can also cover the difference with Bollington through our Excess Protection insurance product
To help you budget for your insurance payments, we can offer payment in instalments, too.
We’re happy to provide advice for part-time traders to get the insurance you need – just give us a call to find out more.