A builder from County Durham has been fined more than £250 for potentially exposing members of the public to deadly asbestos fibres, following an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
Peter Wade was refurbishing a residential property on South Parade, Croft on Tees, when the incident happened. He was initially told about potential asbestos in the garage when he visited the property to provide a quote for his services but failed to follow up on it.
However, while working in the loft area of the garage, the ceiling collapsed. Mr Wade then broke up the remaining ceiling, placed the waste in bags and discovered that asbestos was amongst the debris.
If you operate a business that could put members of the public at risk, it’s wise to look at your insurance coverage to protect yourself against claims in the event of an accident. A good public liability insurance policy will ensure your business is covered if someone injures themselves.
An investigation by the HSE subsequently revealed that Mr Wade had failed in his duty to carry out an asbestos survey or to bring in an expert to do it for him.
Mr Wade appeared before Darlington Magistrates’ Court, where he was fined £267 and told to pay costs of £1,765 after he pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 5(1) of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012.