Four people treated after fire at Devon restaurant

Four people treated after fire at Devon restaurant

Four people have been treated for smoke inhalation following a fire at a restaurant in Devon.

A fire broke out at Moran's Restaurant and Bar in the village of Westward Ho! on Sunday (22 November), which resulted in some people being treated by paramedics on the scene. According to a spokesman for the Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service, the fire started in a small plastic bin set in the eatery in Golf Links Road, with the restaurant quickly filling with smoke.

Fires are an ever-present risk in almost any eatery because of the intense heat and flames of the kitchen. Restaurant insurance is designed to protect against this risk, along with several others - it can include business interruption cover in case a dining establishment must shut its doors for repairs following a fire, as well as public liability cover in case any customers are harmed while on the premises.

John Moran, who runs Moran's Restaurant and Bar with his daughter Frankie and wife Jaqueline, told the North Devon Journal: "The fire service were marvellous, fantastic, first class. We were very lucky we caught it early as it could have been more serious.

"It is unusual for a bin behind the bar to set alight and we haven't got to the bottom of why it happened."

He added that no major damage had been done to the building so the business would be running as normal, and the treatment of people by paramedics on the site was just precautionary.