Landlord fined for catalogue of health and safety hazards

Landlord fined for catalogue of health and safety hazards

Landlords were warned to get on top of their health and safety this week after an unscrupulous landlord was fined more than £8,000 for a number of maintenance issues on his rental property including mould and a leaking toilet.

Alan Fowler, who lives in Woking, was prosecuted by Woking Borough Council after he failed to carry out essential improvement work - despite being served with two improvement notices. The council said it would clamp down hard on landlords putting tenants at risk.

The list of problems at Mr Fowler’s property included: a faulty extractor fan and high pressure hot water cylinder that may not have been installed correctly and a failure to carry out a full electrical inspection and install smoke alarms.

There was also mould growth throughout the property, cracked floor tiles in the kitchen and on the bathroom floor and a leaking toilet.

Mr Fowler was ordered to pay out a total of £8,432 after pleading guilty to failing to carry out improvement work and failing to respond to legal improvement notices.

Consider taking out landlord insurance in the event of injury to a tenant in your property, or if other insured losses happen while you are letting out property.

Councillor Colin Kemp said: “Our successful prosecution of private landlords demonstrates the council’s ongoing commitment to safeguarding the rights of private tenants in the borough.

“Woking Borough Council acknowledges the value in the private rented sector to the residents of Woking but we are dedicated to helping ensure that landlords operate within the law and provide safe accommodation for the borough’s residents.

“We do not tolerate poor housing standards or complete disregard for tenant welfare and, wherever possible, we will aim to build a case and prosecute against such behaviour.”