What is the MID?
The Motor Insurance Database (MID) contains records of all vehicles that are insured in the UK. It is managed by a company called the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB). This database is used by the police and the DVLA to detect uninsured vehicles on the road.
Reducing the amount of uninsured driving on our roads benefits everyone. Uninsured drivers are more likely to be involved in accidents. This costs the insurers money, which in turn is reflected in your insurance premium.
That is why the MID serves a vital function.
Why is the MID important to motor traders?
The MID helps to ensure that every vehicle on the road has proper insurance. If working in the motor trade and you are driving a vehicle that does not show up as insured on the MID, then you could:
- Be stopped by the police
- Have your vehicle impounded
- Be subject to a large fine of up to £5,000
The police and law enforcement authorities make sure that every vehicle on the road is insured. While your motor trade policy may allow you to drive a range of vehicles, you still need to register vehicles in your possession on the MID. This must be done as soon as possible to avoid action being taken against you.
Which vehicles do I need to add to the MID?
As a motor trader, you will need to disclose the following:
- Any vehicle you have purchased which you permanently own
- Any stock vehicle you use for social, domestic and pleasure purposes
- Trade plates (if you have them)
Motor traders don’t need to disclose the following vehicles:
- Vehicles declared SORN (off the road)
- Customer vehicles in your custody or control (e.g. for repairs, servicing or storage). These will already be on the MID under the customer’s private motor insurance, so you are not responsible for insuring them.
- Untaxed stock vehicles driven with trade plates (but you must register your trade plates on the MID)
When do I need to update the MID?
It is often said that motor traders benefit from a 14-day ‘grace period’ to add or remove vehicles from the MID. However, our advice is to add or remove any vehicles on the MID as soon as possible.
If you don’t add a vehicle to the MID, you risk being stopped by the police. While most will accept your motor trade insurance certificate as proof of insurance, there is a possibility they might run extra checks. If this happens outside core working hours, it can cause problems getting hold of your broker or insurer to confirm your insurance cover.
Don’t forget to remove vehicles from the MID when you have sold them. If you don’t, you will remain responsible for any motoring offences or fines linked to the vehicle.
How to update details on the MID
The MID is updated by your insurer, using the details you provide.
There are two ways to add or remove a vehicle from the MID:
- Via your insurer’s online portal - When you take out motor trade insurance with Bollington, you will be given details by your insurer of how to update the MID online. This is the quickest and easiest way of adding or removing vehicles from the MID.
- Phone our MID updates team on 01625 854 465 - Not all insurers offer online access to update the MID, so you can call our friendly motor trade team to update the database for you. Call the number above and select option 4 to take advantage of this service.
If your insurer does offer online access, we can still update the MID over the phone for an annual cost of just £30. Simply register for the service, then call us whenever you buy or sell a vehicle and we’ll do the rest for you.
To update the MID, you will need to provide the vehicle registration, make and model. Online portals will typically find the vehicle and display the information held on it. If anything is wrong, you must inform your insurer before adding the vehicle to the MID, as you cannot change the information held on the MID yourself.
- What happens if I don’t update the MID? - You could be stopped by the police for driving without insurance, have the vehicle you are driving impounded, and face a fine of up to £5,000. If you can prove you have a motor trade insurance policy that covers the vehicle, you won’t face action. But, it’s easier to register vehicles initially than having to prove they are part of your motor trade business.
- When will I get login details for the MID portal? - Login details for the MID are normally supplied after the first 90 days of trading on a new policy. If you don’t have details after this time, please get in touch with us for assistance.
- How can I check the MID? - Visit www.askmid.com, where you can check your own vehicles for free, to see if the vehicle is on the database.
- I’ve given details to my insurer but the vehicle isn’t showing on the MID. Am I insured? - The MID is updated overnight, so allow 24 hours for the vehicle to show on the database. If the vehicle is still not listed, contact your insurer to confirm the vehicle is covered. You can still produce your motor trade insurance certificate as evidence of insurance to the police.
- Where can I find details of how to register vehicles on the MID with my insurer? - You can find a full list of contact details for insurers here.
For insurers not listed, please contact us on 01625 854 465 to register vehicles or request further information.