Commercial drivers in your business? Here’s what you need to know as Brexit approaches

Transit Van

Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) qualifications will need to be updated

As the deadline for Brexit approaches, commercial drivers need to ensure that their Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) qualifications are properly updated to avoid potential compliance issues on the road.

Specifically, the government recently released CPC requirements that lorry, bus and coach drivers must follow in preparation for Brexit. Failure to implement these standards before 31st October 2019 could threaten your organisation’s ability to continue professional driving operations in both the UK and EU.

CPC for Lorry, Bus and Coach Drivers

All lorry, bus and coach drivers must have proper CPC qualifications to drive professionally in the UK and in some EU countries.

If your organisation is a UK company, all UK drivers must complete CPC periodic training by a predetermined deadline. This UK driver CPC qualification will allow drivers to operate in the UK and drive to or through EU countries for any international journeys that UK companies are allowed to make after Brexit.

If your organisation is an EU company, drivers need to exchange their UK driver CPC qualifications for an EU alternative before 31st October 2019. Driver qualifications differ based on how the country you operate in recognises driver CPC. Some countries:

  • Offer a driver CPC card (like the UK), also known as a driver qualification card
  • Add code 95 to driving licences

Some countries accept both methods. For a list of countries that recognise driver CPC cards or add code 95 to driving licences, click here. The UK will also accept driver CPC cards from EU countries after Brexit.

Keep in mind that drivers must apply to the relevant organisation in the country where they live and work to exchange their driver CPC qualifications or add code 95 to their driving licence.

If any of your drivers do not live in the EU country that your organisation is located in, you may need to provide those drivers with a driver attestation certificate after 31st October 2019.

The Interbus Agreement

In the event of a no-deal Brexit, the UK will join the Interbus Agreement. This agreement concerns the international, occasional (not scheduled) carriage of passengers by bus or coach. It applies to the EU, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Moldova, Turkey and Ukraine.

Under the Interbus Agreement, drivers for UK organisations will be able to drive in the EU with a UK driver CPC qualification.

Additional Commercial Driver Requirements

In addition to meeting CPC standards, UK commercial drivers and hauliers may need the following to drive professionally in the EU if a no-deal Brexit takes place:

  • An International Driving Permit (IDP) in some countries (click here to see if your drivers need IDPs)
  • A valid passport with at least six months left (click here to check a passport)
  • A European Conference of Ministers of Transport (ECMT) permit for some journeys (click here to see if your drivers need ECMT permits)
  • A tachograph driver card
  • A motor insurance green card(s) for the vehicle and for separate policies (eg insurance renewal)
  • A GB sticker on the vehicle
  • A vehicle log book
  • Appropriate travel insurance with health care cover (European Health Insurance Cards may not be valid after a no-deal)

For more guidance and insurance solutions, contact Bollington today.