Chip shop fire results in lost takings of thousands of pounds

Chip shop fire results in lost takings of thousands of pounds

A Surrey takeaway says it has lost thousands of pounds in sales after a fire at the premises meant it had to shut up shop over the busy weekend period.

The fire at the Jade Garden in Wrecclesham is believed to have started in a fryer, which was belching smoke when it was switched on. Although there were few flames, there was damage caused by smoke. The takeaway will remain closed until cash from the shop’s insurers comes through to replace the faulty equipment.

A good business insurance policy could prove crucial in a situation like this and is vital in almost all types of enterprise, both to make sure your premises are covered for damage and any equipment you use in the business is also properly insured.

The blaze at the Jade Garden was attended by firecrews from three stations. The fire had spread into the shop’s ventilation system by the time firefighters arrived on the scene and smoke affected the flat above, which had to be evacuated. No one was hurt in the incident.

Jade Garden manager Mei Huang, who also runs the next door Chinese takeaway, said that the affected fryer had been serviced the previous day. It was switched off when staff noticed smoke coming from the equipment, and they sprayed with a fire extinguisher.

He told Get Surrey: “There were flames, but not a lot. We don’t know what happened to be honest.

"We have been using them [the fryer] for so long and in the same way, so we are not quite sure if that’s to do with the service or not. It was passed and everything was OK, but maybe it’s just one of those things.”

He estimated that the takeaway has lost between £2,000 and £3,000 in takings due to the fire. The Chinese outlet next door is open and trading as usual.